Additional Safety Information
In the area of Safety Standards for Conveyors, CEMA defers and refers to the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Association for Manufacturing Technology, and OSHA to develop broad industry safety standards where they can. Read below for additional safety information:
• Martin Engineering produced a 552-page book devoted entirely to Bulk Belt Conveyor Safety. The book is titled ‘FoundationsTM For Conveyor Safety – The Global Best Practices Resource for Safer Bulk Material Handling‘. Available as a FREE Download: https://www.martin-eng.com/content/product/690/safety-book (July 2016)
• ASME B20 Committee maintains the National Standard ANSI/ASME B20.1-2015, Safety Standard for Conveyors and Related Equipment for all conveyor. Order Here.
• For Safety Issues and Procedures associated with the Mechanical Power Transmission Apparatus which powers a conveyor, ANSI B15 is now maintained by the Association for Manufacturing Technology (AMT), formerly the National Machine Tool Builders Association (NMTB).
• ASME/ANSI B11.19 2010, Performance Requirement for Safeguarding – This standard provides performance requirements for the design, construction, installation, operation and maintenance of the safeguarding (guards, safeguarding devices, awareness devices, safeguarding methods, safe work procedures). This standard does not provide the requirements for the selection of the safeguarding for a particular application, though there is guidance provided. It is maintained by the Association for Manufacturing Technology (AMT). Order Here.
• For Standards regarding the development of proper safety labeling and signage, CEMA relies on the ANSI Z535 series. To order any standards, go to the ANSI On-Line Standards Store.
⁃ Z535.1, Safety Color Code
⁃ Z535.2, Environmental and Facility Safety Signs
⁃ Z535.3, Criteria for Safety Symbols
⁃ Z535.4, Product Safety Signs, and Labels
⁃ Z535.5, Accident Prevention Tags
• For Lockout/Tagout refer to the latest OSHA Regulation in Title 29 Code of Federal Regulations (29 C.F.R.) Part 1910.147 The Control of Hazardous Energy (Lockout/Tagout)
⁃ Alternately, refer to ANSI Z244.1 Safety Requirements for the Lockout/Tagout of Energy Sources
• For the latest regulatory guidance on Machinery Guarding refer to the latest OSHA Regulation in Title 29 Code of Federal Regulations (29C.F.R.) Part 1910 Subpart O Machinery and Machine Guarding.
• For the latest OSHA regulatory guidance on noise identification, measurement, and reduction, Click Here.
CDC Office of Mine Safety and Health Resources (OMSHR) Mine Safety and Health Administration Conveyor Safety Education and Training Materials. Some Examples include:
• MSHA Health Standards for Occupational Noise Exposure Resources Page
• MSHA Guide to Equipment Guarding
• Health Standards for Occupational Noise Exposure
• Guide to Equipment Guarding Bulk Belt Conveyor Guarding
• Colorado Division of Reclamation Mining and Safety
• SAFTENG.NET – The Network for Safety Professionals around the world.
• Occupational Health and Safety Guide – Job Hero has this guide as a rather extensive directory to virtually every safety resource and topic that OSHA has available with links to help you find them.
• OSHA Training Los Angeles – OSHA compliance training organization helps industries maintain compliance with federal labor laws. Sells safety training videos and planning manuals. Its resources link can get you to many other safety resources.
• SAFETY SHORT PRODUCTS of La Forte, Texas, produces over 300 five-minute safety videos on all aspects of plant and workplace safety. They are available for purchase or on a custom subscription basis (4, 2 or 1 per month) in over six languages with over 120 of them in Spanish. For more information click on the link above.
• ECPL – Energy Control / Lockout. Materials, training and on-site safety surveys.
• Buy Better Training – A wide variety of Safety Training Materials on to include Lockout Tagout, Conveyor Safety, MSHA Part 48, and a variety of operation and maintenance safety areas.
• Creative Safety Supply – Excellent series of Electrical and Workplace Safety Articles, Guides, and Graphics.